WALK LIKE A PENGUIN
During the winter months, ice, snow, and cold can make life challenging for everyone. Slippery sidewalks can cause a wide range of injuries – especially for seniors.
Walk like a penguin to avoid slipping on ice:
- Bend slightly and walk flat footed
- Point your feet out slightly like a penguin
- Keep your center of gravity over your feet as much as possible
- Watch where you are stepping
- Take shorter, shuffle-like steps Keep your arms at your sides (not in your pockets!)
- Concentrate on keeping your balance
- Go S-L-O-W-L-Y
Make sure to wear shoes with good traction and non-skid soles.
PHONE SCAM ALERT
Bristol Elder Services does not solicit donations over the phone. It was brought to our attention that an elder received a call promising money but first the elder was asked to purchase gift cards from CVS. The call was a scam.
No one should respond to calls soliciting gift card offers, wiring of money, donations, etc. Just say NO and hang up.
We have been notified in the past by community members who received calls allegedly from “Bristol Elder Services” seeking some type of monetary donations and/or requesting personal information such as date of birth and Social Security number. No one from Bristol would ever call you to make this type of request.
Although phone scams are common these days, they have become more sophisticated, especially around the holidays. Be on the alert.